What is Hacktoberfest?
Hacktoberfest is a month-long celebration of open source software run by DigitalOcean in partnership with GitHub and Twilio. Hacktoberfest is open to everyone in our global community!
How to participate?
You just need to make five contributions to open source before October 31 and can receive a free Hacktoberfest t-shirt.
How can a beginner participate?
For beginners, they are saying that you could make contributions to documentation for some projects. But this also needs some level of effort. When I heard about Hacktoberfest, I just registered and leave it there without doing any contributions. But then I go through the list projects I find out some too easy projects to contribute to. So I`m listing here four Github repositories anyone can contribute to, it’s too easy, you just need to add your Github profile name etc in their readme file. Some of them have instructions on how to contribute. So let’s do it
- Step 1: Register or login to github.com
- Step 2: Register to Hacktoberfest.
- Step 3: Contribute to these five repositories or any others repositories you like, check instructions to contribute in each repositories.
It's hard. It's always hard the first time you do something. Especially when you are collaborating, making mistakes…
- Step 4: Check your progress from here.
- Step 5: Digital ocean will ask for shipping address via email.
- Step 6: Wait for that awesome Hacktoberfest t-shirt from Github & Digital Ocean.
Open day hack day is the main SriLanka Hacktoberfest event and it’s open for whole Sri Lankan devs
Open Hack Day Sri Lanka facebook page-
This year SLIIT FOSS Community and Mozilla Club of Sliit has hosted Hacktoberfest event at SLIIT .
More details to follow SLIIT FOSS Facebook Page